Thursday, September 12, 2013

Wisconsin Genealogy Network

I recently joined a Facebook group called Wisconsin Genealogy Network.  I've been lurking for a few weeks and yesterday took the plunge to ask for help with tracking down my grandpa Harvey Hanson.  His father is Hans Peter Hanson, as near as I can figure out.

I have a couple of pieces of information gleaned from his WWI and WWII draft registration cards and an obituary.  In one draft card, Harvey notes his next of kin as Caroline Sophia Hanson of Neenah, WI and in the other, he lists his father Hans Peter in "Nominee" (Menominee?) Michigan.

I shared this little bit and overnight there was a flood of sources to check - gravestones in a Neenah cemetery, an obit from Caroline's death, a marriage record and census data for this family.  It will take me a week to sort through it all and see if the puzzle pieces all fit together.  But it sure looks promising.  And of course getting to the original records would be most helpful.

I can't wait to find the sources, analyze the information and share back my new discoveries about that branch of the family.  What an amazing resource and what a dedicated group of members!


No comments:

Post a Comment